1. Parenting
An electronic malfunction can occur in the circuit board and/or battery connector causing components to smoke and melt. If the components are touched while they are malfunctioning, burns could result. There have been 49 reports of the malfunction with no injuries. These vehicles were sold under the brands of Safety 1st and Kid Trax from January 2004 through August 2005. Read further to see if you have a vehicle that is affected by this recall and to find out how to get free repairs to the toy.

Name of product: Battery-Powered Ride-On Vehicles

Units: About 141,000

Manufacturer: Dorel Juvenile Group USA, of Columbus, Ind.

Hazard: An electronic malfunction can occur in the ride-on vehicle's circuit board and/or battery connector, resulting in smoking and melting of components. This poses a vehicle fire hazard and a burn hazard to consumers if components are touched while malfunctioning.

Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received 49 reports of overheating or melting components on the ride-on vehicles. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled battery-powered ride-on vehicles include the Pink Corvette®, Torch Red Corvette®, Yellow Race Car Corvette®, Red Electroplate Corvette®, Fire Engine, and Batmobile® with the model numbers listed below. They were sold under the brands Safety 1st and Kid Trax by Safety 1st. The ride-on vehicles were manufactured between January 2004 and August 2005. The manufacture date is located on the underside of the unit and is molded into the plastic body as shown below. The circle on left displays the month of manufacture, the circle on the right displays the year of manufacture. The model numbers are located on the underside of the vehicles near the date code.

Safety 1st Pink Corvette® 50503/50503A

Safety 1st Torch Red Corvette® 50504/50504A

Safety 1st Yellow Race Car Corvette® 50505/50505A

Safety 1st Red Electroplate Corvette® 50521/50521A

Kid Trax Fire Engine 50506/50506A

Safety 1st Batmobile® 50527

Sold at: Major toy stores and mass merchandise outlets nationwide under the brands Safety 1st and Kid Trax by Safety 1st from January 2004 through August 2005 for about $300.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should take the recalled ride-on vehicles away from children immediately and contact the company for a free repair.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Dorel Juvenile Group's Ride-On hotline toll-free at (866) 611-3022 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit www.djgusa.com.

Become a fan on Facebook.

Comments
July 21, 2007 at 5:46 pm
(1) Karen Hayward says:

My son received a Safety 1st yellow corvette for his 2nd birthday. The lousy thing never worked. We tried everything and even threw away a battery and bought a replacement. It still never worked. We have just found out that it was recalled because of the battery connector. My son is now almost 5 years old. He has had this for almost 3 years and has never used it for more then 5 minutes. I WANT MY MONEY BACK! $300.00 dollars is what we paid and the thing doesn’t work. I have been waiting for another replacement battery from Dorel Juvenile Group for along time. I am so unhappy with Safety 1st. I have wasted alot of money on this car and I want it back.

July 26, 2007 at 9:10 am
(2) Brian Phillips says:

My son recieved the Fire Truck for Christmas 2005, and it only worked for about 3 months and then jsut quit. I too bought a new battery and it still didnt work. I found about the recall, looked up the web site, and this unit met all the requirements for the recall, but when I called the 800 number they said that this one was not recalled and that basically was out of luck. The customer service was very poor, and I too would like my money back, $300 for a toy that only works for three months is horrible.

August 17, 2007 at 4:41 pm
(3) Bill Rice says:

I bought my son the yellow corvette for his 4th birthday. The car worked for about 4 days before it started having battery problems. I went back to the store and returned the battery three times, and the car is still not running. Basically it is a $300.00 piece of junk and a total disappointment. What bothers me is that this company does not seem to care able people loosing their money or disappointing their children. There customer services is extremely poor and I will never buy anything else from Safety 1st or the Dorel Corporation.

August 20, 2007 at 7:46 pm
(4) tom says:

Yellow corvette battery dead after less than 10 hours use. I see that a BLUE battery connector with a FUSE has been issued as parrt of the recall remedy — ahs anyone had luck with this?

Can anyone say CLASS ACTION??

How do we proceed?? (I can be reached at 626 584 2283)

September 1, 2007 at 12:27 pm
(5) carrie says:

Yellow corvette is broken!!! Help! 300 dollar toy! Is there any hope????

September 14, 2007 at 7:38 pm
(6) June Reese says:

I couldn’t agree more with the above comments. Our Firetruck worked for about 1 month then just quit. We bought a replacement and it still didn’t work. I too want my $$ back. It’s wrong that they can make a product unsafe and unusable and then say they will send us a kit! I think some law firm needs to get involved. We’ve got to have more rights–like a refund.

September 24, 2007 at 3:01 pm
(7) Brian says:

The customer service is crap….they said they’d send replacement parts and nothing has been sent weeks later. This company needs to be investigated.

September 28, 2007 at 4:21 pm
(8) Mark says:

Same as everyone above plus some. My son would be riding along fine, take his foot off the accelerator, and, the car would continue going forward. We have taken it in to be fixed, they replaced everything electrical in the car to no avail. We have had the battery connector replaced, new battery, and a new charger, same, same, same piece of crap. Safety First, your engineers should all be fired for this. Major ripoff!!!!!

October 1, 2007 at 5:08 pm
(9) Steve says:

I have the BatMobile dead battery. TOYS R US replaced with display but that only lasted 1 week and dead again. Toys R Us never told us that there was a recall on this item sooo now that i AM AWARE my receipt is now passed the 90 days $%#@%% out of luck I guess……………………..

October 20, 2007 at 3:48 pm
(10) Ron Fleury says:

My son was given the green fire truck for christmas last year, purchased from toys r us. Although it is still working, the barrety lasts a mere 5 minutes before the beeping begins. I’ve been unable to find a new battery for it, as a result of this recall i imagine. Not happy at all, next step will be to waste some time with customer service i guess.

October 22, 2007 at 12:10 am
(11) Kenneth Jaros says:

I logged on to the web, thinking I could replace my son’s fire engine battery. Came across the recall, really didn’t think it would be that easy. Moved to an area in Jersey where my sons could actually use this piece of garbage, what a discrace. Seems that their is no resolution with fixing it. What a waste of money.

November 9, 2007 at 7:44 pm
(12) Krista says:

We have the Batmobile too. Same problem, the battery died and we can’t seem to find another one. I am very dissatisfied with this toy. It cost losts of money and my son got only a few hours use out of it. What a waste. I agree, this company should be investigated.

November 21, 2007 at 2:05 pm
(13) Cleatus Phillips says:

I believe the problems are with the circuit board. Our yellow vette quit and is a piece of junk. This company is a waste and our vette is going to the trash can to be replaced by a Power Wheels!

November 25, 2007 at 10:39 pm
(14) drbob1227@yahoo.com says:

If anyone is interested in a class action. Please contact us, our car worked for a few weeks, and then it quit. Nobody wants to take responsibility. Somehow it seems like the way America is going, but it is unfair and would never of happened a few years ago. I am going to boycott Toys R US and make sure I tell everyone about this. If they sell trash, it is up to them to make sure that the manufacturer is responsible. If not they are screwing us, but it does increase their bottom line in the short term.

Never ever enter Toys are Us again!!!

December 6, 2007 at 2:39 pm
(15) Loi Tran says:

I bought the yellow race car corvette a year ago for my 4 yrs old son’s birthday at Toys R Us. After five months, the battery was dead. I checked the battery and I found that there was a leak around the battery connector. I am trying to order for the replacement battery online. Then I learn about the recall and the problem that many of us had been experienced. I guess I don’t have buy a new replacement battery because it just wastes of money. I am totally agree, this company should be investigated.

December 15, 2007 at 8:23 pm
(16) A us Citizen says:

I am sick and tired of the United States blaming China for all the toy recalls. This is a quality controll issue starting with the United States Toy Manufacturers. Give it a Break and blame the the correct people – US

December 31, 2007 at 9:40 pm
(17) shlinda prince says:

I, too, purchased the yellow corvette for my son’s 2nd birthday and it never worked from day one. I returned the battery and it still would only run for 30 minutes on a paved flat surface only. I think that it is disgusting that a company can get away with this. I am a nurse how would they like to have a ventilator to work on their family members for only 30 minutes? and could not find anyone to help them? you wouldn’t like that very much, would you? I have to work hard for my money and I am a single mother, I think that all of you have been very unprofessional. If you had any professionalism, you would refund everyone who had problems.shlinda

January 27, 2008 at 10:28 am
(18) Tara says:

I bought the fire truck for my son’s in 2004 and I have had no problems until now I just found out about the recall and replaced the battery connector the lights work but there is no power to the fire truck it just makes a clicking noise when I push the petal I will try to replace the battery because I have had it for over 3 years so it could have lost it’s charge if that does not work I guess I’m out of luck too.

February 25, 2008 at 9:04 pm
(19) cheryl fears says:

I purchased my grandson a corvette (50505), christmas 2007. It has been impossible to put together. Do you know of a service center that I can take the car to , to be assembled.

I live in Bakersfield, California

March 4, 2008 at 5:53 pm
(20) Joanna says:

I bought the yellow corvette two years ago and ever since I took it out of the box the battery beeps it just keeps on beeping. The car also drives funny you push on the pedal and it slams you back in the seat and you let go of the pedal it flys you forward I rarely let me son play in it because I am afraid he is going to get seriously hurt. I am very disapointed with the company because they offered nothing for me in regards to the battery.

March 6, 2008 at 9:56 pm
(21) mike says:

I am in the exact situation as Tara (#). Let me know if the new battery fixed the problem.

March 9, 2008 at 1:19 pm
(22) curtis jerrom says:

We have had the corvette for 3 years with not issues with the car or battery until now. I am having a hard time tryig to find a battery in Canada. Anyone know where to fidn a replacement. I did the new connector and I have not had a problem. I definitely would be PO’d if I had the same issue as everyone else!

March 20, 2008 at 1:11 pm
(23) LaKeisha says:

My child got the red corvette and has not had a chance to ride in it yet, Because it when dead and I cant find the replacement battery or the charger. I guess my search ends here finding out that the company is bogus! Its so sad that big companies take advantage of people who are trying to make their children happy!

April 7, 2008 at 1:30 pm
(24) David Warren says:

I am a UK resident and purchased the Fire Engine for my grandson from Toys R Us. It worked fine for a bit less than a year until suddenly it stopped operating. Like other contributors have remarked, when any of the opoerating controls are pressed all you hear is clicking from relays in the circuit board. Toys R Us would have nothing to do with my complaint because we had lost the receipt. The importer into the UK claimed the company had gone ‘bust’ and there were no spare parts available. I have had electronic engineers look at it but they are unable to build a replacement unit for me as components in the circuit cannot be identified.

Can someone reading this please let me know of the contact details for the company. Many thanks.

My e-mail address is: drw.jts@btconnect.com

David

April 15, 2008 at 11:07 am
(25) Daymond says:

Yes all the remarks ive read are true. My sons red fire truck quit working. Ive dealt with the so called service center what a joke. Ive tried to get them to sell me the electrical item so i can replace it and the say it needs to be done by a qualified tech. Its not that hard to replace it. I would not recommend anyone buying this product.

April 23, 2008 at 11:08 pm
(26) Ana Jaramillo says:

After reading all the post, I totally agree. My son receive the corvette for his birthday and it has been nothing but problems. I contacted the manufacture and they are so rude. So much for safety 1st. this car is a piece of crap. I heard others wanting a class action so keep me informed.

May 21, 2008 at 5:47 pm
(27) Kyle says:

We bought the Red Fire Truck for our 3 year old at Xmas. Just got warm enough to start using it. We charged the battery following instructions exactly. The thing worked fine just once. We can’t get it to work now. We don’t know if its the battery or something else. The manufacturer is almost impossible to find on the Net and they don’t answer their phone. I was going to buy a new battery, but after reading the other comments, seems like more wasted money and time.

We purchased a POWERWHEELS JEEP four years ago and the thing still runs great!

June 2, 2008 at 4:23 pm
(28) Amanda says:

I too purchased the fire truck for my son..Paying over $325 to have it assemebled and it worked for literally hour!! Toys R Us wanted nothing to do with my problem and I was just headed out the door to buy a replacement battery, but I guess I’ll just save my money after reading the commetns above!! What a ripoff!! Now that it is finally warm enough to ride it the poor baby has to make the siren noises himself and the thing won’t budge after charging it according to the directions!

June 18, 2008 at 12:19 pm
(29) rickey rials says:

same problem, my sons fire engine blew a fuse the first day. replaced it, it runs for about 2 minutes, quits moving and just makes a clicking noise. i have tried to contact the company about getting it fixed but no one ever answers the phone. the lights and sirens work, but it won’t move when you press the pedal. i’ve even ordered a new pedal for it, but that didn’t fix it. any suggestions???

June 23, 2008 at 9:10 pm
(30) Crystal says:

We purchased the yellow and red corvette a couple of years ago for our twin daughters. After the first year the batteries died. We found a place online to order replacement batteries for these. It’s http://www.batteryspec.com andy they are $34.40 a battery. The code is TR12-12T. This battery is universal and comes with the required connections for the car however, you should go by your local auto parts store and get an inline fuse to replace your current battery connector\fuse. We’ve got one car still running good but over the weekend the one without the fuse died. Anyone have any good circuit boards or know where we can purchase one at?

July 4, 2008 at 10:32 pm
(31) Zafer says:

I have the same problem with yellow corvette. Did you find any solution to this problem. Please e-mail me on zorrozor@gmail.com
Thanks

July 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm
(32) Kathleen says:

I am so angry and frustrated! I bought my son a yellow corvette made by Saftety 1st and got about 3-4 uses out of it and then it just died. I called the company and they sent me a new charger which did not work. I then went to a repair shop that Safety 1st directed me to and they wouldn’t even touch the car because they had other ones (same make) there and have been waiting for the parts for almost a year! I went back to Toys R Us and they wouldn’t do anything about it. So basically I spent $300 for a piece of crap and no one wants to take responsibility for it! I want my money back or a replacement! Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy a Safety 1st product!!! The company does not care that they steal your money and leave you with nothing!!!

July 7, 2008 at 5:49 pm
(33) Jim Beecher says:

I got one of these dead second hand off of Craigslist.

I refurbished it relatively easily. What you need to do is *get rid of the blue or yellow battery connector*. It has a fuse *inside* it that you cannot change without disassabling the the whole connector.

I bought a bigger battery and installed it in the rear of the truck, added a standard automotive inline fuse, and just hooked it directly into the stock controller board. It works like a charm and never overheats. My kids pop fuses when they bump into something and don’t get their foot off the accelerator in time, so I imagine when that happens with the original battery connector you pop the internal fuse and are out of luck.

I can give you more detailed instructions on how to fix the defect in this fun toy. Just email me.

jabeecher at net0.net

July 9, 2008 at 9:24 pm
(34) GySgt Rivera says:

Good evening

I am a really hard working Marine Infantryman for 18 years now and I am trained to do whatever I need to in order to complete a mission. here’s my situation I bought the Kid Trax Pink Corvette about 8 months ago for the love of my life, my 6 year old daughter. I purchaced the Vette at Toys R Us for about $300.00. I have called in and replaced a battery once already. just three weeks ago it stopped working again. I went to the store to see if I can do a one for one swap or just buy a new battery but they said that they don’t carry it. My response was “Great you sell the product but not the replacement parts”. I called the company and they didn’t find me on record having the first problem and said to fax or E-mail a copy of the receipt. when they told me that I went on line and found out about the recall. as a father I find no pleasure in any jerking me around, as a Marine it doesn’t happen. I am a little bit more than upset with this situation enough to start contacting individuals with the same problem and getting a “FIRETEAM” together to start this Mission.
I agree fully with all you and lets do the math 34 individuals paying $300.00 each comes out to…$10,200.00 in this guys pocket… well that’s not right at all. Since I am just getting on board I would like to know what you guys have done since, who you talked to and where you left off maybe I can join your little “band of brothers & sisters” in gettting this accomplished or at least make a dent in the people that ripped us off. I haven’t much time because I am deploying to Iraq once again. is there anyone I need to contact?
Respectfully
GySgt Rivera USMC

July 12, 2008 at 3:31 pm
(35) Vanessa says:

Hi I have a yellow corvette as well, I bought one for my son when he was 2 and now he is going to be 6 he had about 5 hours worth of ride time on this thing and the battery just stopped. I didn’t know what was wrong with it and now I find out about this malfunction. Does anyone know if we can actually get our money back. I honestly thought our kids would get more then 5 hours out of these power wheels.

July 13, 2008 at 10:13 am
(36) Deb from Annapolis says:

As others, my son has the red fire truck and it too just abruptly stop working. Thought it was the battery so attempted to order one online and cannot locate one. Paid over $350 at Toys R us. They should be ashamed of selling such merchandise and knowing that they were recalled on several occassions (which we were never informed of) and also knowing the problems they have. They should also be held accountable just as much as Kids First!!!! I can see law action in the near future!

July 14, 2008 at 3:23 pm
(37) Charito Sanchez says:

I want my money back too! We bought a new battery & that didnt work, they sent us a new replacement wire & that did not work! Can someone tell me if there is a class action lawsuit for this? lmk, thanks

July 22, 2008 at 4:07 pm
(38) Kristi says:

We bought the Batmobile for our son about 3 years ago and it only worked about 2 months. IT will not go in reverse at all and barely even moves forwrd. We have held onto it thinking that we will find a replacement battery for it, but no such luck. Please contact me if anything further comes of the class action lawsuit. I would definately be on board. Thank you for your time.

Kristi

July 23, 2008 at 8:45 pm
(39) Robin says:

I also bought the Fire Truck a few years ago for my son for Christmas and it has never ran right. After only 10 minutes of riding (If that) the battery is dead and needs to be recharged. So, it’s still like new and it has hardly been rode. Was just online to look for a new battery and just found out about all these problems……Registered and never heard a thing. Did find there is a recall, but they don’t seem to want to honor it. Looks like I was taken for $300.00!

July 25, 2008 at 3:22 pm
(40) Sabrina E. says:

I also bought this for daughter when she was 2 and now going on 5 we need a battery. Never had any problems until now. Please let me know if there is a class action on this, as we all paid allot of money for a defective product. smepperson3@yahoo.com

August 1, 2008 at 1:56 am
(41) Crystal says:

I feel your pain. We bought the red firetruck Christmas 2005 and it has NEVER ran longer than 20 minutes at a time and after 5 month of use it totally quit, so we parked it behide the garage and now it is faded and looks awful. What can we do, I am game for whatever, we just need to get the ball rolling that is over $300.00, not to mention my son never enjoyed it. Does the repair that they offer work? PLease someone get back with me on this soon.

August 1, 2008 at 9:11 pm
(42) lisa says:

Bought the yellow corvette. Nightmare from the beggining! Pedal stopped working. got a new one from the company and it only last a few rides. battery dies. very unpredictable.is there anything we can do?

August 2, 2008 at 11:32 pm
(43) Tobey says:

WOW, What took me so long to google this thing. We bought our son the yellow corvette for Christmas 2006 and like most everyone else’s car, it ran fine for a month or so and then quit. We have been unsuccessful finding a battery replacement and gave up. I can’t believe if the thing was recalled, then why is the company not backing their product.
Anyone find a reasonably painless solution???

August 3, 2008 at 11:03 am
(44) Bruce says:

I have had the same problems the car just died checked it out it is the control box as for the battery there is a place where you can get a replacement battery for 27.00 charger i am not sure miner work for the change over is reqired. The web site is bpurcell.org and they explain and show pictures of what has to be done

August 15, 2008 at 11:08 pm
(45) RENEEE says:

OH MY GOOD G! I HAD NO IDEA THAT THE FIRE TRUCK THAT I PURCHASED FROM “TOY R US” WAS GOING TO END UP BEING A “HOT MESS”. THANK GOD I HAVE THE CADILAC TRUCK FOR BACK UP FOR MY SON, WHICH WORKS GREAT! WHATS UP WITH THE CUSTOMER SERVICE? THEY ARE NEVER THERE! $320.99 I’M OUT! WHAT A RIP OFF. THANKS TOY R US, FOR MAKING MY SONS SUMMER! JUST LOVELY!

August 17, 2008 at 4:08 pm
(46) Teresa says:

WOW!! I thought we were the only one that had this problem with the Red Fire Truck! We bought the fire truck Christmas 2005 for my son. It worked on and off for about 1 year. Since then it has just been parked under the carport and now it is faded and ugly! We have tried a new battery it still did not work. The lights go on but when you turn the key it just makes a clicking sound. What a rip off!! Waist of $350.00!!!

August 26, 2008 at 11:12 pm
(47) Eric says:

Ha!
I’ve got TWO of the Corvettes that don’t work- one for each child.

There’s a special place in hell for the fine folks at Safety First.

I’m trying a battery fix posted at bpurcell.org. Sounds like a winner

August 29, 2008 at 7:24 pm
(48) Sarah Davies says:

i am horrified by this situation that we are all in , i bought my son a yellow corvette two years ago but he has used it only a couple of times, it’s been in storage for over a year, battery has now packed in and upon tryin to discover where to get a replacment battery from i stumbled across this website and everything thats been said has happened !!! i was completely unaware that the product had been recalled !!! now all my son can do is sit in his car and make the noises him self !!!! i keep promising him that i’ll fix it !! so if any one knows how to get these plastic wastes of money goin please let me know !!! i didn’t buy it just to look at and take up space!!! ps im in the uk !! cheekydavies82@hotmail.com

August 31, 2008 at 10:04 am
(49) mary says:

WE ALSO PURCHASED FIRE TRUCK FOR OUR SONS LIKE OTHERS LISTED HERE ONLY THE LIGHTS WORK MY BOYS TAKE TURNS PUSHING EACHOTHER AROUND IN IT MY HUSBAND HAS ALSO TRYED TOO GET IT TOO WORK IT HAS NEVER WORKED RIGHT THEY DID SEND THE WIRES FOR THE RECALL THAT THEY HAD BUT THAT DIDNT WORK I ALSO BOUGHT MINE FROM TOYSRUS 350+

September 1, 2008 at 7:39 am
(50) Amiee says:

Purchased firetruck from toys r us in 2007 for my sons fourth birthday. Worked for a few months, now after charging for the full time needed, lights and sirens go but won’t move. Did anyone have any luck with customer service?? My son is so upset. I guess this will teach me to read reviews for products before I buy.

September 3, 2008 at 9:23 am
(51) Jme says:

I am still waiting on someone to come up with a solution to the circuit board problem. If someone did I think they could make a lot of money repairing these things.

September 4, 2008 at 8:06 am
(52) MIKE says:

All I can say is yup, you all got lucky – I paid 399.99 + $65 5yr warranty for the pink vette for my daughter at Toys R Us – though I had issues with the battery and stuff which they replaced for me (4) times had tried to help me by getting hold of the manufacturer for corrections – no response, so they refunded my warranty money , thought I was making a good choice due to how well the car was constructed and durable (guess that was to protect the crappy cheaply designed, worthless junk inside, all looks no go – might make a good soap box car!!! Should have gotten her the darn mustang she wanted – it just seemed cheaply built, but now I am reconsidering -

September 4, 2008 at 12:43 pm
(53) MIKE AGAIN says:

I figured out how to fix the problem and it is very simple – check out modifiedpowerwheels.com – all you have to do is cut of the blue or yellow plug that goes into the battery and splice another plug onto it – full and detailed instructions are on the above web sit, go into forums (upper left corner) got to I believe MODS then click on (batteries and wiring) and select (kid trax firetruck battery harness) I know it says fire truck but it applies to all the safety firs vehicles.

September 4, 2008 at 1:08 pm
(54) MIKE says:

for the solution use google and type in
( Modified Power Wheels + Kid Trax )
almost all the issues with these are solved by a 15 minute fix, screw the company that makes the product you dont need them, just a little intuition and the car works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 10, 2008 at 5:42 pm
(55) Wendy Carbone says:

My son received this gift two years ago. We brought it home and it worked for about 10 minutes. We ended up bringing it back to ToysRUS and getting a replacement the next day. Again we brought it home and the same thing happened. I am very upset that this thing has been taking up space in my garage for two years and now I find out it was a complete waste of my parents money to buy this for my children!!! What a disappointment!! Class action lawsuit??? Sign me up!!

September 13, 2008 at 2:17 pm
(56) jessica says:

I too am in the same boat as all of you. I was shocked to read so many people having the same problem with these vehicles. I bought my daughter a pink corvette in 2004 and it worked fairly well for a short time. Now it won’t budge. It will turn on so I know it is not a power deal but it will not move when you push the petal down. I spent almost 400 dollars on this hunk of junk!

September 15, 2008 at 1:58 pm
(57) Jodi says:

I cannot believe all these comments. My inlaws bought my son a yellow corvette for his 3rd birthday. We have used it a couple times and it stopped working. He is now 5. I thought the battery was dead and started looking on the web and found the recall. I called the company. They told me they would send a new connector and if that didn’t work I would need to order a new battery, which is almost $100. And by the way the batteries are backordered for 4-6 weeks. That would be over $400 for this corvette and there is no guarantee that it will run!!! Our children are growing up and seeing other kids in the neighborhood with ride on vehicles and ours is setting in the garage! How do you explain that to a 4 and 5 year old? Isn’t there any lawyers out there to help us ???

September 19, 2008 at 10:07 pm
(58) April says:

I have 2 of these so-called cars. my son got the yellow one and my daughter the pink. SAME THING batteries worked about 4 days. (Got them for christmas in NY, too cold to be outside for long lol) My husband bought them for the kids to make up for the fact that he was serving in Iraq. If ANYONE starts a lawsuit against this money-hungry-so-called-kid-friendly-company please email me and ill give you my full name and phone number. ~got appox. 800$ worth of platic in my back yard~

September 19, 2008 at 10:23 pm
(59) april again says:

Sorry, forgot to leave my email. April.kelly2@us.army.mil Hope someone gets some answers for all us parents that bought these things.

September 25, 2008 at 12:53 pm
(60) Naomi says:

I have the yellow corvette and a firetruck that are both sitting in my garage now for 2 years after only working a couple months. Ordered the new connector for the corvette but still won’t work! I came across batteryspec.com where they came up with something to replace the safety 1st battery. ??? It sounds good but will it work? I know nothing about wiring, batteries, etc. What do you think?

September 27, 2008 at 11:28 am
(61) chi says:

OMG! We have been having troubles with the fire truck…thought it was the battery, then just this morning my son was trying to ride it and the gas pedal did not work. Thought I would try and get some information to see what I could do to fix it. Glad I saw this!

I would like to work with everyone to try and get our money back.

Chi

October 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm
(62) Tricia says:

Bought the firetruck one year ago for my sons birthday he used it a total of one month and it died kids trax says nothing they can do

October 3, 2008 at 2:00 am
(63) Sarah L. says:

My brother bought the yellow corvette for my son for christmas of 2006. My son was to small to ride it, it sat for a year and worked really good. But the battery wouldn’t hold a charge after about two weeks. I thought it was because it had sat for so long but do to these comments maybe it was doomed from the start. I let the battery charge for about two hours in the garage and it melted and smelled bad and had to be recycled. Now I have to pay another 70 dollars to get a new one. Not a very good 370+ dollar investment.

October 5, 2008 at 1:43 pm
(64) Dawn says:

I see all of the other comments and mine is the same. All the way pissed off I lost money my son is so upset he wanted this car for so long!! When I was able to get it for him he drove it maybe 5 times. I paid for the warranty and it did no good at all! I want my money back! Anyone I talked to had nothing to say like the toy cost $19.95 or something, Hello why do you think we are so mad, over $300. If anyone is going to sue please let me know. dawnaileen@gmail.com

October 6, 2008 at 9:40 am
(65) TomG says:

My son has the red fire truck for 4 years. It seems like im the only one that did not have any battery problems until now. The battery will not hold a charge, and the gear boxes are falling apart. I called today (800-544-1108)and got a rep on the line. The battery is $84.95/ Gear boxes (right and left) $111.69 and new dashboard sticker $24.04. The total is $220.68. I paid $249.99 at toys r us in 2004. This is too much money for the parts. Im going to find a barbie jeep and swap out the drivetrain. Has any one done any gearbox conversions? Please contact me at tgconstruction1@aol.com. Thanks

October 7, 2008 at 1:34 pm
(66) Scott Childs says:

I have the Batmobile. I bought it at Toys R Us. It of course stopped working after about 2-3 months. This was in the fall. We tried it in the sping and it would hold about 30 minutes of charge. By the next Spring there was nothing. My son at this point was to big to ride it. We now have another son who is 2-1/2 yrs. He loves sitting in it. I went to look for a another battery. The connector was melted and it metled the plug in for the battery. I called consumer report and they said they are escalating it. Not sure what it means. Funny thing Toys R Us gave me a blue connecter after I took it to them.They said it was the best they could do since it is no longer under their purchase warrenty. $70 for a battery is robbery for something cassed by the recalled falty plug. Any one know of any other options?

October 30, 2008 at 11:09 am
(67) Jay says:

WOW! It is amazing to me how a company like this could have so many complaints and not even attempted to help it’s customers. I bought my daughter the yellow corvette when she was 5 and soon after the battery did not work. Now it is sitting there is my garage taking dust. It hurts me to see my little girl everyday sitting in that darn car and it does not work. Now I must pay more money to buy another battery for it and still there is no guarntee it may work for a while. I refuse to. I called the 800# and spoke with a representation about a year and a half ago when she told me someone will call me back. That never happened. I’ll tell you what, I will never buy any products pertaining to this company and will do my investigation to make sure it doesn’t happen. Thanks for caring about our kids, sorry I meant the making money off of us.

November 11, 2008 at 8:55 pm
(68) Amie says:

Holy cow!! I was just looking for the replacement battery b/c my sons red fired truck which we’ve only used a handfull of times stopped working as well. I can’t believe I came across this site. I am happy to know I am not crazy but really PO’ed to find out I am gonna be out $300. Well like all the others the lights and sounds still work but the truck will not go, it just clicks when you push the pedal. I am so glad I did not buy the $70 battery I was going to. Did anyone come across a way to get our money back from this company? Let me know amiendave@aol.com

November 16, 2008 at 8:46 pm
(69) Stacy Wilson says:

I’m in the same boat! What are people doing with these cars. Are they throwing them out or waiting for a lawsuit. Please let me know
stacyallyson@aol.com

November 22, 2008 at 1:16 am
(70) becky williams says:

I also bought the yellow corvette racecar in 2004 and the battery died shortly thereafter.With all these problems we should certainly try to get our money back.has anyone filed for a class action law suit-if so,count me in and keep me informed. thanks

November 30, 2008 at 11:05 am
(71) Alex says:

I also purchased a yellow corvette for my daughter in 2004, pay 300 for it and now it does not work in fact it has not worked for the past 3 years and I was hoping for my son to use it now. If we are going to get our money back, let me know.area.bcg@hotmail.com. thank you

November 30, 2008 at 11:33 pm
(72) JSG says:

We also have a pink corvette taking up space in our garage. My daughters grandfather bought the corvette for her ($300+) and we had problems immediately. Took that one back to Toys R Us and exchanged for another one. That one ran for a few months and is now parked in our garage collecting dust. I’m feeling your pain!

December 1, 2008 at 5:56 pm
(73) Dave says:

I bought the fire truck for christmas in 2005 and I thought I was nuts and it was a bad battery. I’m gladd to see its not just me. I hope I can get it fixed. i have a 9 yr old and a 5 yr old that would love it to work

December 14, 2008 at 3:10 pm
(74) vivian says:

I AM IN SHOCK TO SEE HOW LONG PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WRITING IN ABOUT THE PROBLEM AND THEY APPARENTLY STILL SELL IT. i BOUGHT MINE IN 12-06 AND HAD BATTERY ISSUES TOO. THEY SENT ME A KIT WHICH HAD A CONNECTOR REPLACEMENT AND IT HAS BEEN MUCH BETTER. THE BATTERY LASTS FOR HOURS. I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE BATTERY FOR FREE HAD I KEPT THE RECEIPT BUT WAS NOT SO LUCKY!!! NOW I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO SWITCH IT TO 5 MILES PER HOUR INSTEAD OF 2.5. CAN ANYONE HELP. MY CAR IS THE YELLOW CORVETTE???

December 22, 2008 at 4:55 pm
(75) Flora Rivas says:

After reading all the bad comments about the safety 1st battery,now I know that is going to impossible to find a new battery for my son red flames corvette which I being trying to find for a while.I would like to know what are you guys are going to do about this problem. All I want is a new battery so My son can ride his car.

December 27, 2008 at 10:13 am
(76) julie says:

I too bought the yellow corvette for my son two years ago and of course the battery stopped working. Now after looking at this site I too want to be a part of a class action suite to get these crooks. What do we need to do to get our money back? So we can buy one from a more known company like Fisher Price who will take care of the kids.

email me at julia.f.lowthorpe@us.army.mil

December 27, 2008 at 10:26 am
(77) julie says:

By the way did anyone go to the Dorel website and see that these criminals also sell Car seats, cribs and highchairs. So I think we do need to band together and sue not just for us but for the safety of infants as well because I saw that they also had recalls on car seats as well and if we can’t get good customer service for a battery imagine what kind of customer service they give to a parent that really needs a safe car seat.

December 28, 2008 at 2:01 am
(78) Angie says:

I bought the pink corvette for my daugter and it only worked for a couple of months and then died. We called the company and got the recall part twice and neither time did it work. So I went to the auto parts store and asked them for ideas. They recommened an ATV battery I purchased it and wired it into the car. Can you guess what happened it worked for a couple of hours and then had the same problem from before. It started clicking and died. The problem is not the battery or it would have run on the battery that I purchased. The problem is the circuit board. I worked hard for the money to buy the car and the to try an alternative method to fix it since the company is no help. But the most upsetting thing is watching my daughter get disappointed over and over. The company needs to fix the problem. kobejada@msn.com

December 29, 2008 at 8:42 pm
(79) Herman Nevarez says:

I need the baterry charger for the yellow corvette 50505 series. Can someone tell me where to purchase it. Somehow it was lost when we moved into our new home. Any help will be sincerely appreciated. God bless. My e-mail address is: shalom522003@yahoo.com
Herman

December 31, 2008 at 6:44 am
(80) derek says:

was looking for replacement battery for my daughters pink corvette it worked for a few months then just kept beeping and has just sat in the garden since!! waste of money havent bought anything from toysrus since and never will should have bought a bike instead less to go wrong!!!

January 2, 2009 at 7:36 pm
(81) Karen Thomas says:

I got the red corvette for my son…same thing with the battery. Poor kid was broken hearted. Now it just sits in our garage. Has anyone gotten anywhere with receiving any kind of compensation?

January 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm
(82) Mary Anne says:

I bought my boys the yellow corvette in Dec 08 between dead battery (so I thought) they’ve riden it twice no more than 30 min. I have been searching for a replacement battery for some time. I spent the day going to ever battery shop I could find just to come home to my sick 3 year old and tell him mommy couldnt find a battery to make his car all better. This is just so disappointing not to mention a waste of money. Anything new on this?

January 12, 2009 at 3:45 pm
(83) Rod says:

Bat Mobile here… son only got about 2 months of use out of it and it quit working.

Am contemplating keeping the body and cutting it over to a gas-powered unit with a separate seat now that he is too big for the original passenger bay.

January 17, 2009 at 8:40 pm
(84) tee says:

I bought the yellow vette for my son in 2004, it hasnt been holding a charge for about the last year so i went to toy r us where they still sell them to get a new battery and they didnt carry them, so i began searching online and came across the recall…after reading everyone’s comments I am so annoyed…should i bother even replacing the battery or should i just junk this piece of crap?? Does anyone have any good pointers on how i could get this think working?? I have a 3 year old daughter that could really get some good use out of this car. so please e-mail me at greenrulzt@yahoo.com if you can help me out

January 18, 2009 at 10:00 pm
(85) Erin says:

I have been driving myself crazy finding a battery for my son’s yellow corvette. I finally went online to search for one and found all the info on the recall. I always check the recall lists at Toys’R'Us for every toy we own, how disgusting is it to know that there was never any notice. I am currently speaking with a very well known and established law-firm in the Orlando Area about a Class Action Lawsuit for these vehicles. I will give more information as soon as I know it.

January 22, 2009 at 4:06 pm
(86) Jaime says:

I have the pink corvette and having the same problem, clicking and dead battery. I just found out about the recall also and ordered the new part at no charge, the problem is finding the battery or another battery to fit in there. I am so angry over this…we all paid good money for these cars and should not have to put up with this….class action lawsuit for sure….please keep me posted herboldb@bellsouth.net

January 28, 2009 at 11:28 pm
(87) Heather Eaves says:

I too have had the same problems and am very interested in a class action lawsuit. Please let me know if anyone is pursuing this.
Thanks
heaves@polycom.com

January 31, 2009 at 3:43 pm
(88) Amber O. says:

I too purchased the Fire Engine for my son & it worked for about 6 months. I just found out about the recall. My husband works in maintenance, took apart the vehicle & exactly what the recall is for is what he has been trying to replace. My 2nd son will not have anything from this company. Please contact me with any information about class action. amberphillip629@hotmail.com

February 2, 2009 at 9:31 pm
(89) david barnes says:

we bought our daughter the pink corvette and it worked for about 4 months.we were in the middle of moving and hadnt had time to look for a new battery until right before christmas of 08 and im just now realizing that saftey 1st is the biggest disapointment to parents working hard to buy their children cool toys and an even bigger disapointment to the kids that thought they had something extremely cool. Never again will I purchase anything from this company again even if they are selling the last drop of water on this earth

March 8, 2009 at 11:42 pm
(90) Charles Fox says:

If your having a problem with the relays clicking after charging the battery,it’s not the battery,its the circuit board.I aquired the pink corvette from my sister in law cause “I can fix anything”.After checking the electrical system and the battery,I found the circuit board causing the problem.My problem is there isnt any info on the intergrated chips to identify them.I’m probably going back to old school relays and redesign the circuit board without modern technoligy,wish me luck. If anyone has any solutions e-mail me at fox1227@att.net

March 11, 2009 at 6:23 pm
(91) Grand Pa George says:

Well, here it goes people, Got a corvette for the grand kids. Last half hour, took it back and got a fire truck 50506A model. Problem with the battery. got a new one. same thing. got another one and as we were in the drive way I hear a clicking. checked it out. The right rear motor gear broke. been trying to get parts from Dorel Group is like trying to get into Fort Knox, Ky. Well not call you back. Well not answer the E-Mails, nothing.
we had this fire truck from 2006. What a waste of $350.00 + 2 batteries. NOT to talk about the time and frustration on an old man..
MY answer:: Do NOT buy any plastic toys and see how long they stay in business.. I will not hear a thing from them about this letter.

March 16, 2009 at 12:54 pm
(92) Suzanne says:

Is there a number to order replacement parts for the Red Fire Truck it died at the end of last summer .I bought it for my son the summer before last we just thought the batterie was dead .But after reading this stuff I am not so sure. I tried the 1-866-6113022. But they say it is not the right number. HELP

March 21, 2009 at 9:04 pm
(93) crystal says:

We had bought the fire truck for our son back in 2005. The first summer the battery went dead. I tried buying a replacment online and to no prevail. We just found out about the recall and I am extremely annoyed. I registered the product with the company and was not notified of the recall. My son is extremely upset. He saved up his allowance for 8 months and we helped him with the rest. But this is crap. There should be more that they should do. Especially for the amount of money that has been spent on it. I am going to contact the better business bureau and file a complaint.

March 23, 2009 at 11:08 am
(94) Bridgette says:

I have had the worst experiance from this company!! I had to go to manager to manager.
When I called com. ser. in july 2008 they said they would send out the battery and the connector. The battery never came but the connectorid. So I called back, Now they said they never said they would send out thebattery they said they have them in stock and I could buy one, then after many managers the one said they would send one out but it was on back order!! what liers — never never will I buy from this lying company

March 27, 2009 at 10:05 pm
(95) Freddie says:

I bought my son the yellow corvette last summer and he drove it for a couple of weeks before it stopped working. I actually had luck talking to someone, but the service centers they referred me to said they will not ever work on these vehicles again because it is a hassle getting parts from the company to fix them. After several attempts i gave up because it starting getting cold outside. This year I started contacting them again for the past two weeks, but getting the same old run around as last year. They said the manager would call me back today for sure, but didn’t of course. I am gonna keep bothering them until something gets done about it. They will know me on a first name basis before I am done. Wish me luck! The car is pretty much worthless if it doesn’t run.

March 30, 2009 at 10:09 pm
(96) nicole says:

Listen everybody, is more 100 people complaint about this rip-off!!!, we should put this company in court or something, I lost more than $300 in this garbage, this “yellow corvette” doesn’t work at all.
If anybody willing to do it or knows how to do it please contact us.
nicolemia1978@hotmail.com

March 31, 2009 at 10:20 pm
(97) Chris Burnett says:

Yes!!!!!!!!!! I too got bent over and screwed, After reading these messages, It has saved me from trying to spend money on this fire truck,to fix the pile of safety 1st crap. But I have 2 family members who are Lawyers and I’m going to bring it to them, Hopefully if they like it. I will post again about our options. I’m not taking this sitting down.any extra info chrismbauto@yahoo.com.

April 10, 2009 at 5:36 pm
(98) Wallace Geary says:

Group, same situation for me as well. The yellow corvette. I bought it for my daughter for Christmas and it did not last a week. Same problem “battery”. If anyone finds any fixes, please contact me at wallacegeary@msn.com

April 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm
(99) Tara Fryling says:

I am also in the same boat as everyone here. My son received the fire truck from his grandparents a couple of years ago. We had a sickness in the family and didnt get around to replacing the battery until now. When we couldnt find one, I started researching and came across this site. I am just livid at all this. I would be more than happy to band together and start a class action lawsuit against this company. This is just wrong and my son is beyond dissappointed.
Please contact me at lynn3780@hotmail.com

April 22, 2009 at 3:40 pm
(100) Rach says:

Anyone had a problem with the fatback chopper from them??? The battery worked for a few times then never took a charge, never worked again! I’m not on the hunt for a replacement that I just can not find grrrr!

May 3, 2009 at 4:14 am
(101) Mick Cox says:

I purchased the pink corvette for my little girl in 2005 and it worked for around 3 months but never took it back to the shop as i thought she had somehow broken it. It has the same problems just clicking sounds but have only just noticed the recall i am uk resident and paid over £200 what a waste. anyone have any ideas let me know .rip off

May 5, 2009 at 11:42 am
(102) Juanette says:

We bought the yellow corvette for our daughters 3rd birthday in April 2005. She only used it a few times before the battery died and now it’s just sitting in our garage. We decided to go out and buy a battery for it this past week and found out they don’t carry the batteries any where. Just long on today and found there is a recall on the batteries. Does anyone have any additinal insight on this and received any updates? or refunds?

I too would like my $$ back.

nette0119@yahoo.com

May 6, 2009 at 9:29 am
(103) KidTraxRecall says:

If you have this product and it is defective, if the manufacturer has refused to help. if you have the replacement part and it still does not work and etc. and etc. and if Toys R Us gave you the run around about the recall and you were in their return police time frame, file a complaint with the CSPC at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06018.html. There is a link at the bottom of this notice where you can report if you are still having issues. Please do so – power in numbers!

May 8, 2009 at 12:34 pm
(104) George C says:

Really, is more 100 people complaint about this rip-off!!!, we should put this company in court or something, I lost more than $300 in this garbage, this “yellow corvette” doesn’t work at all.
If anybody willing to do it or knows how to do it please contact us.
My e-mail: clularon90@netscape.net

May 14, 2009 at 2:03 pm
(105) Janis Shimko says:

Hi. We too bought a $300 piece of junk fire truck from Toys R Us. And they wonder why they’re doing so poorly. The manufactured date on the truck is 9/06, which is not part of their recall. However, my son rode this firetruck less than 5 times for a few minutes and it does not work! We replaced the battery and it still doesn’t work. Obviously by reading all these complaints it’s more than the battery and it includes more models than the ones made in 2004-2005. I called the company and they want me to take it to a service center but I have to pay! No thank you!! I already spent $300+ on this. Any suggestions, class action lawsuits? Email me at hundo1888@aol.com

May 15, 2009 at 11:49 am
(106) Tamiee says:

Bought the $300 fire truck for my sons 4th birthday in May of 2008. He rode it for 3 days and it stopped working. Called warrenty company( which I paid extra for extended warrenty from Toys R us) was told they wont warrenty the battery. Replaced battery and still it wont work. Toys R us keeps telling me the warrent doesnt cover the recall work. I replaced the recall part and still no action from Toys R us!

May 26, 2009 at 11:26 pm
(107) Cassie says:

OMG, I wished I would have found this before. I just bought the yellow corvette, I haven’t even charged it yet, but now I am thinking to just return it. Has the problem been solved yet? Please help!

June 3, 2009 at 1:26 am
(108) Prasad says:

I bought the Yellow Race Car Corvette® 50505 two years back and it worked for two months and then it stopped working. We tried in 2008 and also didn’t work. The battery is not charging and nothing working. Please include me to take action on these guys. My son is not happy at all and found this forum to get some help on this vehicle. Do we need to replace the parts, if it’s yes. Where can I get it? Please help me I have paid $300 for this unit. Include me by sending mail at prasad.nalluri@gmail.com

June 4, 2009 at 9:02 am
(109) hannah sargeant says:

i got my daughter the pink corvette from toysrus paid £300 for it only to use it 10mins from fully charged for the battery to die im interested if anyone is taking this further thanks my email is hannah4don1@hotmail.co.uk

June 7, 2009 at 10:24 pm
(110) Edward says:

We bought the fire truck in 2005 and it finally just stopped working, it was really only road for 5 or 10 min at a time but was really used a lot last summer. Now it stopped working but can not find a replacement battery anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas and the company is no help at all, as they have been sold off.

June 12, 2009 at 10:09 am
(111) bobbi says:

I bought my son the fire truck for his birthday he used it maybe 2 months and now we went to use it this summer and it will not work found out about the recall his truck was made a few months after recall date but we have the same problem. very upset now i have a 300.00 fire truck that sits that my son can not use now. i will not buy nothing from this company again. ashame we pay all this money for junk!!!!

June 16, 2009 at 12:05 am
(112) John says:

Same problem with the Yellow Corvette. I thought it was just because we lived in a hilly area, but now I have moved, took this stupid thing all the way to Japan thinking I would get it working and now see that I would be wating more than the $400 plus dollars I have in this thing with batteries and stuff that does not work.

John

June 17, 2009 at 3:42 pm
(113) GraceAnn says:

I bought the batmobile for my grandsons birthday, and had battery problem also. No help from the MFG. I looked all over for the battery, and still looking. They (MFG) wants to charge $109.00 for the battery the car cost $300.00. Are they kidding??!! They are not much help at all. My car was not one of the recalled items.

June 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm
(114) Michelle says:

I have also had problems with my son’s yellow Corvette. It has been sitting in the basement, inoperable, for almost 2 years now. My husband has made attempts to locate a replacement battery in the past and has had no luck. Just for the heck of it, I e-mailed the customer service center. I also took the advice from an earlier post and contacted CPSC. If I get a response from either I will be sure to post. I don’t know where to go next, but would be willing to be part of a group taking action against the company if we can’t get any resolution. mlamson716@yahoo.com

June 18, 2009 at 2:55 pm
(115) Robert says:

I also bought the yellow corvette that does not run. Please contact me with any info on a class action suit at klute71@yahoo.com

June 19, 2009 at 5:58 pm
(116) Clarke says:

Bought a fire truck for my son for Christmas 2005. Just found out about the recall and read all these problems. Our battery is also dead and won’t charge and the truck was hardly used. Can’t find a replacement anywhere. Looks like everyone is having the same problem with this company. Let me know if a class action law suit is in order. Would like to participate. I have some lawyer friends who maybe able to help.

June 23, 2009 at 12:49 am
(117) GRACEANN says:

CHECK OUT COMMENT 103 HE GIVE YOU A LINK TO COMPLAIN http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06018.html I PUT IN MY INFO ABOUT THE BATTERY. YOU CAN SKIP THE INJURY PART. I AM GOING AFTER THEM FOR THE BATMOBILE I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW WHAT WE HAVE TO DO NEXT.

June 28, 2009 at 9:08 am
(118) pawel says:

Have the same problem with yellow corvette, will participate in class action
cencik@hotmail.com

July 2, 2009 at 10:09 am
(119) Bill says:

Same as all of the rest of you….Yellow Corvette, in operable after 6 months and no batteries to be found. I’m reluctant to buy a new one after what I’ve read. Happy to join a class action or whatever.
Please post updates.

July 5, 2009 at 10:40 am
(120) Val Demkovich says:

We have the red fire engine, purchased in March 2008. Worked for six months, thought was battery. We would like to be kept informed of any legal actions. How disgusting of Toys R Us to knowingly continue to sell defective merchandise.

July 6, 2009 at 6:53 am
(121) jenny says:

SOOOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE! We purchased the yellow corvette (£250) from toys r us in UK in 2006 for our sons birthday a week before xmas..he used it a handful of times as it was a bit chilly outside! seemed to work ok but we noticed it didnt seem to run for too long before it needed charging again. put it in the garage until the warmer weather came…he was really excited to see his car again and couldnt wait to jump in and zoom around the garden but the joy soon turned to tears when after charging it for hours the damn thing wouldn’t go! only thing that worked were the headlights.. no sounds no radio no nothing. he was so upset. we tried to find a replacement battery but soon realised that nobody sells anything remotely similar(convenient!) we put it at the back of the garage and have just brought it out this wkend to try it for our youngest son – what a waste of time and ££££ keep me posted!

July 8, 2009 at 12:18 am
(122) Danielle says:

Wow, I feel like a fool! I just bought the red fire truck off of craigslist today. The owner told me the battery just died and I just have to call up and order a new one. I called and was told they were on back order. It was then that I went online to find out if I could get the battery elsewhere. Instead I have found numerous counts of unhappy fire truck purchasers. It looks like I just wasted my money (thankfully not $300.00)and have purchased a very large stationary toy for my 2 year old son!

July 8, 2009 at 12:23 am
(123) Danielle says:

check out the Better Business Bureau site. There are over 60 complaints against Dorel, most related to the recall. If I had purchased the product first hand I would definetely file a formal complaint.

July 14, 2009 at 11:52 am
(124) Nick Poliseno says:

We are having the exact same problems as everyone else. We just filed a complaint with the Better business bureau and advise everyone to do the same. Maybe with all our complaints we can get our products fixed. The comany to file the complaint is Dorel Juvenile Group USA, of Columbus, Ind. I think it qa shame on Toy’s R Us to be selling this product with the recall history and current problems with this company and/or product.

July 14, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(125) Dexter Tuazon says:

I bought a fire engine in 2006 for my sons, it took them only a month to enjoy it because the battery went dead and could not recharge fully. I tried replacing it by checking and taking it at Toys R Us where I bought it but they just refer to safety 1st website and when I checked the site, the site does not even carry these kind of batteries. I kept checking the site, until I bump into these site and read about these frustrations of other customers who had the same issues and concern. This poor customer service. Now my kids are very disappointed cause the fire engine is just stoked in our garage.

July 14, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(126) Dexter Tuazon says:

I have exactly the same problem. I bought a fire engine for my kids but after just a month of used, the battery is no longer working and could not re-charge. I tried taking it back to Toys R Us where I bought it but I was just referred to a site and when I check the site they do not carry the said battery. I check all stores I can check for batteries and they do not carry it so the wheel is stocked in my garage. Obvioustly I am still in search for an answer that’s the reason I bumped into this site. I am glad I have some people to support my cause. Please let me know for any action being taken re-this matter. I would like to know.

July 18, 2009 at 8:15 pm
(127) Jerry says:

We also bought a pink corvette for our child and like so many others it is just taking up space in the garage due to battery problems. Alot of money spent for what we thought was going to be “The Toy” for our daughter to have many hours of fun on. All she gets to do is sit in it and play the radio. I’d sure like to have my money back so we could buy a more reliable brand.

July 19, 2009 at 6:12 pm
(128) James says:

Anyone want to sell their left (rear, driver’s side) gear box/moter from the Safety 1st Red Electroplate Corvette® 50521/50521A??? I have had one for our kids since the summer of 04. It was a recalled one, but did work the first couple of summers, then started getting hot and battery wouldn’t hold charge, so I searched Internet for issues. Found the recall info and swapped out the harness with the inline 40A fuse harness, but didn’t get a new battery until last month, June 09. Well, I think one of my kids started it while the original battery charger was plugged into the harness and an outlet. The next time it was used the drivers side gear box/motor heat up (burning smell was prevalent) and melted and popped the fuse. The right rear tire will still rotate, but does seem weak. So, if someone wants some cash out of one of these cheap made products, I will buy one or both of the gear boxes, if reasonable. thnx nwbearcats98@gmail.com

July 20, 2009 at 11:17 am
(129) Paula from Mass. says:

We bought the firetruck for our son (2 1/2 at the time) in August 2007. Construction on the house got the toy “stashed” away. Brought it back out in March 2009 and my two children (4 1/2 and 1 1/2) used it until the battery died. We charged it up and we are having the same problem with the clicking noise and no motion in the vehicle. After reading all the complaints it is clear that both Toys ‘R Us and Kid Trax (Safety First) knew about all these problems. Our local Toys ‘R Us does not even carry this firetruck anymore. I did purchase an extended warranty from Toys ‘R Us and I will be bringing it back today. Will re-post what their attitude was to the return. If not, please, oh please, include me in any class action suits that anyone wants to initiate.
paulapic29@gmail.com

July 25, 2009 at 8:10 am
(130) Dennis Webb says:

I to have had the same problem. I purchased the pink and red corvette and they both never ran right. Both are still sitting in my back yard. Wish i could at least get my money back.

July 25, 2009 at 8:14 am
(131) Dennis Webb says:

I forgot to leave my email address. dmwebb82@yahoo.com. please contact me

July 28, 2009 at 12:32 pm
(132) Amanda Skold says:

I have a fire truck and can’t even find a battery for it! Anyone doing a law suit please contact me as well. skoldamanda@yahoo.com

August 9, 2009 at 8:42 pm
(133) Carleen Jelliff says:

We also have a yellow firetruck that does not work. Finally got around to searching for a battery and found this website. I would like to be notified if anyone has additional information about this company! My kids are not going to be happy! jelliff@verizon.net

August 13, 2009 at 11:15 am
(134) Debbie says:

I too found this site looking for a battery for the Yellow piece of @#$&%$ firetruck. Called the company, they were more then willing to send me a new battery for $109!! Oh and a new charger for $40!! The stupid thing has never worked right. It has been “parked” in the basement for the past 2 years because it needed charged every 10-15 min after riding. My younger son is now 4 and really wants to drive the firetruck, otherwise I would have simply hauled the thing to the trash awhile ago!! Lawsuit…when, where and how can I help. I want my $$ back!!

dbjorman@neb.rr.com

August 17, 2009 at 11:14 am
(135) Brett says:

All, I read through all of the comments and I completely agree with all of you. I too purchased the Yellow Corvette and had the same problems with the battery failure. I came across a website of a guy who found a simple solution by purchasing a $27 12V 12ah Gruber battery that works perfectly with the Yellow Corvette and most likely with the Fire Truck, etc. Here is his link which includes pictures and details. I found it helpful and am going to do the same thing for my son who has had to walk by the non-working Corvette for a year. Good luck!

Brett

August 19, 2009 at 8:32 am
(136) The Fix says:

Check out the pics and comments on the motor clicking when stepping on pedal at this link. The comments and pics by ‘boobatuba’ are dead on/verified as I fixed mine by running new 14 AWG wire from the connector pins straight over to the circuit board where the battery wires connect on the board. If you can open the original connector (Torx #10 and philips screwdriver req’d) and solder the wires straight to the pins you’ll be set.

August 19, 2009 at 8:33 am
(137) The Fix says:
August 21, 2009 at 7:15 am
(138) James in TN says:

If anybody wants to sell (or give away) one of the radios out of the corvette, I (and my daughters) would certainly be grateful. Safety 1st Pink Corvette® 50503/50503A
Please email me: jis1974@yahoo.com

August 24, 2009 at 8:05 pm
(139) Rachael says:

We too have the firetruck purchased when they first came out. We got it for the kids because dad’s a fireman, so they want to be like dad. Worked good the first couple years. I knew about the recall & got the replacement plug, still worked after that. One issue we had was when my son let his foot off the gas pedal it didn’t stop right away so they hit the trampoline in our yard and traveled underneath it. Both kids had a trip to the ER for possible mild whiplash, and my son got hit in the throat by the trampoline frame, daughter caught the frame right in the teeth. They turned out to be fine, just sore, luckily. Now they want to use it after storing it for a year and battery won’t hold charge for more then 3 minutes and it’s HOT. Can’t find replacement anywhere. And if you can only get one from the company for $80, they are outta their freakin’ mind! Power Wheels sells their 12volt battery for half that & you can pick them up at local stores. If there is going to be a lawsuit against the company, count me in. My kids were injured when the firetruck didn’t stop as the gas pedal was released!
Rys6531@aol.com

October 19, 2009 at 8:26 pm
(140) Trevor says:

Safety 1st battery problem – repair solution

My neice had the same problem with her red corvette. Problem was that the battery had run dry – there was no water left in the battery cells to transmit the electrons. Since the battery is sealed it appears you cannot add any water.

IT IS DANGEROUS TO DISASSEMBLE A BATTERY AS THE ACID CAN CAUSE INJURIES! I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TRY THIS UNLESS YOU ARE QUALIFIED TO DO SO AND COMFORTABLE WORKING WITH A FEW TOOLS AND ACID.

However, if you carefully pry the top off the battery (it is glued on so it is not easy) with a screwdriver, you will find a soft rubber cap on each of the 6 cells of the battery. These can be removed with a small screwdriver but be careful not to tear them or let dirt/grime get into the cell. Then just add distilled water to top up each cell and put it all back together. Charge it and it worked better than new for us.

You can tell if the same will work for you by shaking the battery and listening to see if you can hear the liquid in the battery. If you can’t hear it, or it sounds like it is empty it will probably work.

Saved me $100 for a new battery

To keep the problem from occurring again, disconnect the battery when it will not be used for longer periods and don’t run the battery completely out.

October 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm
(141) SBROWN says:

same thing with the pink vette….what can be done?

November 1, 2009 at 1:52 pm
(142) Kenny says:

We have the same problem with the red fire truck we purchased two years ago for our son. Worked great for two years until we just moved. Put it in storage and now it no longer works. Makes the clicking sound and nothing else. Add us to any lawsuit as well.

December 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(143) J San says:

Purchased my sons RED Electroplatte Corvette (Safety First) 50521/50521A. Bad circuit board, the type with 2-relays and an aluminum heat sink. Ciruit board under passanger seat. Battery was good, checked it with a battery tester.

Wish I could have my money back. Is anyone setting a class action suit?? jsan202@yahoo.com

December 23, 2009 at 4:09 am
(144) dennis says:

I had the yellow corvette and had all of the same problems. We replaced the battery connector and battery with the one they sent us after complaing. It worked for about 5 mins and then started beeping again. I called the company and they sent me to a service center which kept the car for 4 months and after I complained they told me to come and get it because they wont send them the parts and he wouldnt even deal with safety 1st again. It ended up by the road but we also still have the fire truck but it has the smae problems and is just collecting dust in the garage and we have also went through two batteries for it. Anyone sueing or getting their money back please let me know. dgrice2064@aol.com

December 31, 2009 at 8:43 am
(145) Linda says:

Purchased the red racing corvette from Craigslist 150.00 Charger did not work. Ordered one paid 123.00. Charger has not arrived yet. Scammed for sure!!

December 31, 2009 at 2:20 pm
(146) Patrick Murray says:

I bought my son the yellow corvette 3 years ago and he used it for a couple of weeks and the same problem with the beeping, its been sitting now for awhile since the last time I messed with it, now the battery is dead. i almost went out to find a new battery, thankfully I read all the complaints first!!

Let me know if any lawsuits!!! customstripes@mindspring.com

January 5, 2010 at 12:09 am
(147) Ron T says:

Firetruck….never worked , never will, Please contact me if the company is ever honest enough to back up its product… thanks…………..

January 5, 2010 at 12:12 am
(148) Ron T says:

count me in if the company ever decides to be honest enough for a rebate…. please contact me… thanks

January 16, 2010 at 10:20 pm
(149) laura says:

Whew-glad to know I’m not alone!

January 18, 2010 at 6:38 pm
(150) Dwight Wagner says:

got the yellow fire truck, got new battery, all works except movement. so now i have a big peace of crap that lights up and makes noise but doesn’t move an inch. kids harts and Dads pocket book broken. thanks a lot safety 1st you really suck!

February 8, 2010 at 1:20 pm
(151) Dixie says:

I got the red firetruck for my son’s 3rd birthday present. He’s only rode on it a few times before it started messing up. The battery will start beeping before riding for 5 minutes. He gets so upset at this. I spent $350 on this piece of crap. I’m extremely upset. If anyone knows a solution or a cheap way to get this thing working again, let me know. dixiegurl223626@aol.com

February 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(152) Paul says:

I’ve got a corvette that works (thankfully) but I noticed it’s starting to screw up. I’ve traced the fault down to the switch (the gas pedal). It’s a regular switch that can probably be bought from an electrical supply store for less than $2.

If you have everything but the gas work (ie – jerky or no mobility) try changing this switch.

February 13, 2010 at 5:35 pm
(153) Mark from Boston says:

I bought the red corvette two years ago for my two boys. I had a problem with the battery not keeping a charge. I went to Walmart and bought a ride-on mower battery and never had a problem after that. However,I did have a problem with stripped gears. After about a year and a half, the cars started to make a grinding noise when driving. I took apart the rear-wheel motors and the gears were stripped. Does anyone know were I can get parts? Tried contacting the company-no response!!!!!!!!!

February 15, 2010 at 6:00 am
(154) Lisa says:

We too bought the fire engine for our son to have it stop working. It now just sits in the garage taking up valuable space until we can figure out how to fix it. If there ends up being a class action lawsuit or any other actions taken to remedy the situation please include me. I sure have 2 very disappointed children over this expensive toy. I can be contacted at LJ_MCP@comcast.net
thanks

April 4, 2010 at 1:32 am
(155) Wendell says:

I purchased the pink corvette in 2008 and have contacted Kid Trax, Consumer Fraud Division, General Motors, Toys R Us and the corporate office of Dorel about the Pink Corvette. Hindsight is 20-20. I now stay away from all of the above. The product that should bring joy to a child is not that joy. Each of the forementioned contacts has bought themself a life time of bad advertisment from me.
These consumer problems are quality related and will put you out of work and add your employees to the list of home foreclosures and many more. The disappointment and anquish of a child should other unpleasant things. You should be ashamed.

April 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm
(156) Becky says:

Same story. Yellow corvette holds a charge for about 5 minutes than beeps and runs out of battery. totally useless toy.

April 17, 2010 at 1:44 pm
(157) Dina says:

I just picked up the Pink Corvette at a yardsale. The owner said the battery was not working… After reading the comments… it is probably safe to say, “I just got shafted.”

April 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm
(158) Dan says:

We got yellow Corvette for our son’s first birthday and it worked for about one month.Called company and asked for new battery ,thay told me thay got a recall on the connector mentioned above.I replaced that but car never worked again.We got ripped off big time !!!
Someone should do something about this coompany!!

May 11, 2010 at 8:27 am
(159) Carlos says:

Thanks a lot for your comments
I was about to purchase a replacement battery for the yellow vette which I purchased a few years ago my son only used it for like three weeks then he put it away for a couple weeks and when He wanted to use it again It didn’t work anymore all this time I thought we did something wrong when charging the battery
anybody knows about any lawsuits or
if anybody else tried another battery with good results please let me know at k4rlo2perez@gmail.com

June 5, 2010 at 10:59 am
(160) Andy says:

My (current) problem with the Vette is that the pedal switch failed.

kidswheels.com has parts and modifiedpowerwheels.com has information on how to fix most of the problems with these POS toys. Search for Kid Trax there.

August 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm
(161) Bao says:

i am in the same board. The customer servicws never respond back. they just lied to us. Over thousand lost money and they don’t know how to complain. if someone know how to fill in lawsuit. Please post the message.

August 21, 2010 at 9:18 pm
(162) kallie67 says:

We have the yellow corvette, and the battery dead.. I didnt want to spend 90.00 for a new battery plus shipping :( , so we went to interstate battery bought a battery for 30.00 a wall charger for this battery for 15.00, went to home depot bought extra wire and clamps, and in less then 10 mins. we had the wires changed and the battery installed, and my kids have been riding it all day :) , the gentleman at interstate, said he has sold ALOT of these batteries for safety first YEAH my kids have thier car back :)

September 7, 2010 at 2:39 am
(163) ANDY says:

IVE HAD THE BATMOBILE FOR 4YEARS AND NOT A PROBLEM TILL NOW
BATTERY WONT HOLD A CHARGE
HAS THERE BEEN A REPLACEMENT YET

September 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm
(164) vicki says:

i brought the fire truck from toys r us a couple of years ago. we charged the battery for 24 hours. it never worked. i did not know there was a ecall until i went looking on the web for a new battery. I wonder if the inside of the fire truck ( the brains ) were burned and this was a return! at this late date is there anything i can do? maybe if we put these vehicles on u tube, not working, it might make the company do right by its costumers!

September 18, 2010 at 8:20 pm
(165) Joe says:

Anyone want to sell the gear boxes on rear axel for red fire truck, send me an email at jmccall007@gmail.com

October 15, 2010 at 11:57 am
(166) RICK says:

RE: Ride-on toys Safety First Battery Charger Model HNR-1515-B

Did anyone ever notice that the battery charge that came with the Safety 1st 12 volt battery has a 15 VOLT output? The last time I checked, you wouldn’t/shouldn’t EVER us 15 volts to charge a 12 volt battery, anymore than you would use a 12 volt charger to charge a 6 volt battery!

I assume that is why the batteries never last beyond a charge or two.

November 3, 2010 at 3:35 am
(167) maly says:

Bought the yellow vette in 2006. My son was only two and never got a chance to ride it. Battery completely dead and wont hold a charge in less than a month. I am beyond pissed. Called dorel they said the car is not part of the recall. Idiots. Please contact me for any further information malya2006@verizon.net

November 23, 2010 at 6:14 pm
(168) Candi says:

I have the yellow race car corvette — battery is dead!!!!!
want to fix it as it was a very expensive toy to just be sitting in the garage taking up space. I don’t even want to bother with the company since there is all but bad comments on them. KELLIE67 or comment # 162 seems to have it working. can you please post more info on the type of battery and other supplies you used to get it working again.. OR —- FOR SALE — $ 100.00 OBO

crfv8270@yahoo.com

thanks !!! :)

December 20, 2010 at 10:07 pm
(169) lisa Walsh says:

same experience. yellow corvette and no luck with it. wont even charge. anybody have luck with company? Dorel sent me replacemnt for battery charger connector, but still no luck. they told me they have a new team handling compliants. Emily seemed helpful, but still not having any luck. Dorel and safetly first should pay! I am sickened at the price i paid for a piece of crap! lisawalsh9@gmail.com if there is a class action.

January 17, 2011 at 10:17 pm
(170) Sarah says:

My husband worked for the company that raced the yellow #3 corvette so we had to have it. What a waste of $300. We have had it a few years and it only worked a few times. We just can’t bring ourselves to throw away a $300 toy. My husband has narrowed the problem to the circuit board. But that too is impossible to find. Very disappointed! Anyone had any luck finding parts?

March 5, 2011 at 10:33 pm
(171) Ben says:

My neighbors found the pink corvette in someones trash and brought it home. They bought a 12 volt battery from walmart that fit right in. They gave it to us for our two year old. I just had to put connectors ond the battery terminals and use my personal trickle charger to charge it up and it’ll run for awhile before it dies. It sat in the garage for 4 months during the winter and just recently pulled it out and it started right up. It was faded and sun rotted a bit and my daughter wanted it blue so I am now in the process of painting it.

April 12, 2011 at 9:54 am
(172) Joel says:

I won a fire truck at a fireman’s convention a year ago, it worked for about 1 month then suddenly the motor was stock in full power in reverse, and smoke started to come from under the seat. I unplugged the battery and started to look over it, the mother board had overheated and one of the printed circuit board had ruptured, I unplugged the relay to the motor and plugged the battery now everything works sirens lights but the motor forward or revers, kind of pointless, so it now sit in my garage, I hope that costumer service will be able to supply me with a new board. That should fix it…

April 12, 2011 at 9:57 am
(173) joel says:

I won a fire truck at a fireman’s convention a year ago, it worked for about 1 month the suddenly the motor was stock on full power in reverse, and smoke started to come from under the seat. I unplugged the battery and started to look over it, the mother board had overheated and one of the printed circuit board had ruptured, I unplugged the relay to the motor and plugged the battery now everything works but the motor, kind of pointless, so it now sit in my garage, I hope that costumer service will be able to supply me with a new board. That should fix it.

April 22, 2011 at 2:05 pm
(174) Samantha says:

If anyone has one of the firetrucks we would love to buy it from you – working or not. We (www.proboticsamerica.com) re-use it, install a whole new power system and make it remote control so that firefighters can use it to teach kids about fire safety. Will even pay for shipping.

May 24, 2011 at 5:05 pm
(175) Gordie says:

Contact me. I have the firetruck in great condition.

May 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm
(176) Gordie says:

Firetruck for sale. Great condition!

August 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm
(177) Jennifer says:

OMG!!! This is ridiculous. I was wondering why my daughter’s pink corvette hasn’t been working, I thought it was the battery. Never seen the recall until today when I googled for a battery replacement. Her car hasn’t worked in years.

August 28, 2011 at 1:18 pm
(178) Jim says:

Wow, thought it was my baby’s battery too! Come to find out there was a recall on the pink corvette from reading all of the comments. Will call the number on her battery tomorrow, 1-800-544-1108 to discuss our problems.