1. Parenting
Send to a Friend via Email

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:


was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

Getting Your Child's Birth Certificate

By December 25, 2008

Follow me on:

The W-2s and other U.S. tax forms will soon be on the way. If you had a baby this year and didn't get a Social Security number assigned at the hospital but need one before you file your taxes, be sure you have a birth certificate.

According to the Social Security Administration, "We must verify your child’s birth record, which can add up to 12 weeks to the time it takes to issue a card." In addition, they do not take notarized copies or photocopies of birth certificates. It must be a certified copy or an original document.

Comments are closed for this post.
Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.